Monday, May 7, 2012

Boatloads of change

There is a song by the Avett brothers that says "Shame, boatloads of Shame..."  For the longest time I thought it said, "Change, boatloads of change, day after day..."  That's the tune of our lives right now.  Every day brings about new challenges and new possibilities.  We are thrilled (and slightly terrified) with all that God has provided and the path he has set out before us.  We are wearing out the road between Edmond and Tulsa, having so much fun fixing up our new home: decorating, painting, placing our furniture, and keeping up the landscaping.  I am usually not a fan of Home Depot or Lowe's but lately I have even asked to go to those places!  Although moving and lots of life change can be stressful, I feel like we're right where God wants us.  Sometimes I just sit and think about the path is took to get here, the doubts and tears and delight and victory, and I am overwhelmed by God's direction and provision.
It's so easy to get bogged down by the cares and busyness of life.  I was reminded this morning in a message in Deuteronomy 6 where my priorities should remain.  First the author states that we shall love the LORD with all we are and all we have.  That the word should be on our hearts and we should teach them to our children, talk about them while sitting in our house, and when we're walking, lying down, and when we rise.  The author then reminds God's people that after he brought them out of slavery and provided for them on all sides that it is then that you should take care to not forget the LORD.  Conviction. I need Him every day.  I hate it when I get to the end of the day and have not spent time reading the Word.  I'm thankful that His mercies are new every morning.  It's my loss when I do not pray and learn from his life-giving Word. So... I'm working on it.
It's funny the things that happen when moving into a new (to us) home.  We found very random items in all rooms of the house: one men's dress shoe without laces, a balloon, bobby pins, eucalyptus leaves, empty wrappers, tons of dimes and pennys, etc.  The first week our water got turned off.  The second week our natural gas mistakingly got turn off.  This past weekend we spent two full days working in yard and painting.  It's funny how quickly I questioned, "Am I really that dirty?" when my only option is showering in ice cold water.  Brrrrr!
It has been and looks to be a rollercoaster year in our household.  Never a dull moment.
The new homestead.

I think we may be losing it.

Just after we closed on our Tulsa home!

Hopefully we can find a chair bigger than this, although we might compromise since it has OU on it.

Love the backyard!  Will be great for cookouts, football and Thunder game days.


No comments:

Post a Comment